Wednesday, May 19, 2004

MBS this, MBS that!



Keep it simple.
Does it concern me or do I want to be concerned?
If something’s amiss, I find out about it. If I don’t understand, I ask questions. If I don’t agree, I argue. And if I don’t want to concede, I say no.

The difference between the old timers and me is that they’re forced to give in to this environment whereas I chose to be in it. I had a fair idea of what I was getting myself into (work-wise). The old-timers already had their work attitude developed from their GP days and naturally, these changes can be a difficult thing to grasp.

Office politics.. it’s a given and I try to avoid it. I’m used to dealing with the top honchos head-on, which gave me plenty of headaches and perhaps a few lines on my forehead. I just want it plain for now.

So far, I’m still adjusting to this ‘rank-based’ structure. Life is attractively simple as a developer. I can spare myself from seeing the ‘big’ picture which often goes with bigger responsibilities.

So work is work. I try to be nice but I can’t help it if I end up being a strict taskmaster. I try to get along but I don’t have to get along well with everyone.

I try to keep an open mind. I’ll let you say whatever it is you want to say. But don’t expect me to always agree with you. And I don’t always have to have a say on your issues.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM , Blogger Cecil said...

this sounds like you... don't change because of circumstances. however, adjust as needed. office politics is a lot like dancing. you have to follow certain steps, but the swaying to the rhythm is your own.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home