Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Gone in a Weekend

Finally, they brought him home. Though it still pains me to believe the fact that he's gone, I still manage to put on a smile for friends. It's not at all worth dwelling on sadness if you know that the person who's gone ahead actually enjoyed his stay.

There were a few defining moments that's made an impact on me. One of which was our trip to Xaymaca. Despite being officemates for a year already, that's the only time we got acquainted. Here's the article that he asked me to write to share my views on the place.
http://kquill.blogspot.com/2004/10/xaymaca.html

***
And life goes on.. yet stories of the tragedy creeps back.
We went to swim class as scheduled. It was the weekend after his death. Our instructor introduced us to E, his swimming instructor who was also part of the K9 team that helped searched for T.

I was hoping that the swimming lessons would serve as a break from the weeklong torture of missing and losing a friend. And there they were, asking all sorts of questions. Discussing the incident as if it were some movie. But it was real for me, and I am not the kind who would want to recall the tragedy over and over. I wanted them to just shut up. But they didn't so i just floated away. No wonder I learned survival floating easily.

***
Celebrating what could've been his 32birthday at the small chapel of Don Bosco Mandaluyong was a unique event. It was something that I wasn't looking forward to. His urn was barely noticeable among the bright orange balloons. Printed photos and blog enries were displayed like an exhibit at the end of the hall. It was the last night of the wake, and it seemed more like a show. I could never imagine him approving to such a circus, but like what his fellow climber said, it's been organized not for him, but for us creatures who he left dumbfounded by his sudden death. I really miss that twerp!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home