Saturday, October 03, 2009

Not the Usual Flooding

Flooding in Manila brought fond memories of childhood. I remember making bankang papel, eating champorado and playing with shadows during power outtages.

Now that I live in Marikina, 'flooding' gave me a different concept. The unusually heavy rainfall last Saturday brought almost 80% of Marikina underwater. Water from the river overflowed and low-lying areas has houses submerged in water. We were spared because our place in Parang is on higher ground. We had continuously supply of water and electricity. Most of Metro Manila was on blackout so it was only until the next day or later when they found out about the overall impact of the typhoon.

There was water swelling up from our floor but that's just spring water shooting out to level with the paved road. It wasn't as alarming as the strong current of the flood washing away everything on it's path. As the water subsided in the following days, I got to see the grim reminder of what just happened in a span of 6 hours. What was once a beautiful and clean city is now dredged with mud. People are traumatized by the experience. I kept thinking about my son and was glad that we're safe during the flooding. I kept thinking about my siblings and was glad that they too came out safely. I thought about a lot of things and I am thankful for a lot of things.

Flooding as I grow older is no longer as fun as it used to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home