Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Family Conversations

"Can I avoid temptation?"

"Of course. You're always free to choose, or make your own decisions."

"What if freedom is taken away from me"

"Physical freedom may be taken away from you but not your free will."

I wanted to explain to him the concept of 'free will'. That we are what we make of ourselves. That despite the limitations being set on us, we can still make the most of what we have.

Then it dawned on me. I'm talking to a boy who's barely 14 and has been forced by his parents to move into a different country, a different school and different household. He once said that his life is in Macau. I also found out that he has a girlfriend there.

Well, I realized that I can't go philosophical on my nephew, so I had to be more like a big sister. Often, I just listened and if necessary, i then share my thoughts and experiences hoping that the younger mind would understand the life lessons that I've learned. But our conversation was cut short. Eventually though, I found out that he's already keeping himself busy here even if he's only been around for two weeks. He's now part of the varsity basketball team and I think he had no problems making new friends.

I'm sure there's still plenty of adjustments for everyone in the house that we share in the province. He's my cousin's son and is a newcomer in my parents' household where a brother and sister, children of my other cousin, have also moved into a year ago.

Going home to the province is like going to a retreat. I get to talk my elders and share their thoughts on life as a grown up. I also get to reflect on my childhood and my growing up years as I relate with my nephews and nieces. Sometimes it's a bit tiring because I need to make the most out of my short stay there. Upon returning to Manila, it's back to the superficial, fast-paced routine of city-living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home