Monday, July 12, 2004

A Friendship Jump Over

True friends can grow separately without growing apart.

I was chatting with my friend Marj the other day and she asked me if I have a female bestfriend whom I had for years. When I said yes, she then asked if there ever came a time when I felt that our friendship seems to be deteriorating. I said "Of course!". I even thought we’d end up hating each other’s guts.

I can’t remember exactly how it all started. I’m never good with memories anyway, especially bad ones. What I do recall is that when she left for the US, we were in bad terms. But before she left, she personally delivered a goodbye letter to my house. I wasn't home then, and was still in pain. I vaguely remember the letter, perhaps it didn't mean much back then. I thought it was the end of our friendship.

Months passed and lo and behold, i received a hello card from her. The mail was actually quite thoughtful since emails were already in vogue. And it came to a point that it was up to me to decide wether or not I'd want to be friends with her again. We talked, listened and heard each other out. A dialogue is important in true friendship. Eventually, of course, we managed to patch things up.

I guess humility, honesty, support and understanding helped a lot. 'Expectations' were probably what caused the rift. But we've gone passed that and despite the distance, and the changes in our lifestyles, we managed to remain friends. We're even closer now than before.

She returned to Manila sometime last year with her husband, and is now nursing their first born. Come Sunday, July 18, 2004, I'll be godmother to their daughter Iya.

We've been through a lot Thet and I. And I'm always amazed and grateful to see how far our friendship has brought us. We may be living different lives right now, but we both know that we're always there for each other no matter what.

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM , Blogger Cecil said...

how was the baptism? i hope you enjoyed yourself.

about your post, sometimes we think that friendship means that you must be physically together most of the time, if not all of the time. i think we think physical presence is imperative to a friendship.

sometimes people do the craziest things that causes a friendship to deteriorate. but it always boils down to how much you value a friend -- this is the effort to make the friendship/relationship work. it poses the question just how badly do you want to keep it and what you're going to do about it.

luckily, thet realized it after some months.

i'm luckier cause i know that already. so if i (or you) do something stupid in the future, rest assured i will make an effort to reconcile with you given a period of time. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home